Saturday, January 29, 2011

Here's to Penny!

     I come from a very old tribe.  I dont mean they date back very far... I mean we are all damn old-  My parents had me late in life (Surprise!!) so all my cousins are older than me and I lost one of my favorites this week.  Penny never had kids of her own, so that made her especially indulgent in us!  She had this enormous hand bell collection that I absolutely Loved to play with... and she let me... for hours-  Woman was a saint... or partially deaf-  I used to spend the night and she would do my hair (and I did hers-) with Dippity Do... do you remember this stuff?  I dont think they even make it anymore. Today I saw one of her nieces wearing the add-a-pearl necklace she had gotten her and filled up over an obvious lifetime of love.  I had totally forgotten about the one Penny started for me.  It is buried in a jewelry box with all of my moms old jewelry and treasures.  I will have to get it out.
   So tonite raise a glass (or ring a bell!) to that special cousin or aunt of yours who made such a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment